Monday, April 21, 2008

Reasons Why Bill Cosby Is Awesome

Besides being a technological visionary?
The image “http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/TI994A-CosbyAd.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

1. He introduced a new generation to really great jazz.
2. Pudding pops
3. Picture Pages
4. The man can ROCK a sweater
5. Leonard Part 6

And now......

Cosby Narratives Vol. 1: State of Emergency

That's right, Bill's releasing a hip hop album to push back against all the "obscene" lyrics in hip hop.

I admire his creative endeavors, and I'm sure it's a great album. But I'm getting a little bit tired of hearing about how terrible hip hop is. Sure, it's happened to most icons - Madonna, Iggy Pop, Elvis ALL had people talking about how obscene they were. But that's what artists do - they push boundaries. I wonder how much of hip hop's bad rap (ha ha, I made a funny!) comes from a racist fear of "menacing" black men talking about sex?

Sure, there's a decline in "message" music - Common Sense is now just Common, BDP is no more, lots of the greats who wanted to talk about Black power and pride just don't sell records. But that's not 50 Cent's problem. His job is to be an entertainer, not an educator.

You know my style, I say anything to make you smile. (I love you, Curtis!)

No comments: