Tuesday, September 2, 2008

So Pissed

I am so pissed at the spin being pushed about Palin's infant right now. I can't tell you how many times I've heard pundits give her credit for not aborting him because he has Down's. As though Down's is such a horrific defect that she's somehow a saint. I am so offended - for people with Down's, for simplifying abortion, for making a live baby seem like a burden to these people. I am offended for Sarah Palin - if anyone ever spoke about one of my children the way her "supporters" talk about her baby, I would be furious.

I am staunchly pro-choice, and feel like it's none of my business why any woman would have an abortion. I am staunchly pro-family, and believe that no woman should have to have a baby before she is ready (whatever that means). Emotionally, carrying babies and giving birth was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I do not wish it on anyone who does not want it.

I am also an infertile mother whose children are the biggest gifts I've ever received. I am appalled that a wanted child can be seen as anything other than a gift.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen, sister!

It's pretty clear, now, that almost ALL of the spin about Trig (and Bristol's pregnancy) is being generated by the Republicans themselves. I really think they're trying to recast abortion as issue #1 -- mostly because they haven't much else to stand on. It's pathetic, and I'd wager that all but the most conservative women will rally the other direction.

Sheesh, Palingate! I wish I could claim that I was being high-minded and staying away from all of this politics-by-LifetimeTV crapola, but... the truth is I'm totally hooked. :)